What is a hackathon? | Hack + Marathon = Hackathon
A hackathon is an intense and fun collaborative marathon where “hack” means to create something entirely new from things that already exist – think “MacGyver.” Developers, designers, and idea generators (participants) are joined by technology partners for a brief period of time – in this case, 24 hours – to develop amazing new products or services in response to challenges posed by the hackathon sponsors.
What are the venue details?
160 Lake Ave
Palm Coast, FL 32164
Do I have to know how to code or use Salesforce to join?
Not all participants need to be developers, but you will need to demo a prototype of your idea before our judges. So, forming a team that accounts for design, UX and coding is a great way to go. You will have an opportunity to do this the morning of the hackathon, or you may want to recruit colleagues with a broad range of skills to register before the hackathon. There will be support mentors there to help you navigate and make the best use of Salesforce tools and products.
How are teams formed?
Teams can be formed ahead of time if you are coming to the hackathon with people you know, or virtually using the Slack channel and team formation webinar happening the week before the hackathon. There will also be an opportunity to pitch your idea, your team or yourself onsite to recruit more team members or to get recruited onto a team on Friday night before coding begins.
What is the allowable team size?
Teams may have 1-6 members, but no matter the number of teammates, make sure to cover all hats; development, design (UI/UX), and pitch. 1 person can absolutely wear several hats!
What are the challenges?
1. Create solutions that help patients better understand their care in a meaningful way, and effectively manage clear communication between everyone involved in the care plan.
2. Disrupt with new ideas that connect the health data on patients' smart devices in an effective and valuable way for the patient and clinician. Build proactive systems that focus on whole-person care, health monitoring and/or financial incentives for healthy behavior
3. Create solutions that address the need to keep costs down for patients, and provide more low-or-no-cost options and education for the community. Leverage data through Salesforce tools like Einstein to ensure the lowest prices available to patients
Will I be exposed to the tech and have a chance to ideate and form teams before the event kicks off?
You will have the opportunity to join 2 webinars leading up to the event.
1. Tech Beach Hackathon Welcome Webinar
- Challenge readout
- Pain Points, Stakeholders, and Target Users
- Introduction to each tech provider
2. Ideation, team formation, and presentation tips
- Ideation Q&A Session + Idea Pitches from Attendees
- Team Formation Opportunity
- How to give a great hackathon demo by BeMyApp
Are there some sites or resources I can brush up on before the event?
General Salesforce Admin info and data model:
Health Cloud and Health Cloud data model:
Are there prizes?
Grand Prize = $6,000
1st Runner Up = $3,000
2nd Runner Up = $2,000
3rd Runner Up = $1,000
Will there be other prizes?
Yes! We have tons of gifts and non-cash prizes from our friends and sponsors that will be given away during the event.
Can I use third-party APIs?
Yes. In addition to the proprietary technology our partners will make available, you are free to use publicly available software and APIs and any hardware you wish to bring.
Do I have to bring my computer?
Yes. Bring any computer, mobile device, or other hardware you wish to use along with power cords to charge. We’ll supply the network and electricity.
Do I have to stay for the full 24 hours?
You must be there to sign in on Friday no later than 8 PM to join a team, and you will need to present your prototype on Sunday, but you are not required to stay overnight. Many do take advantage of the free food, comfortable surroundings, robust network, skilled mentors and stay throughout. Best to bring your sleeping bag and a pillow!
Will there be free meals, coffee, and snacks?
Yes! We will keep you well-fed and energized.
Is my travel covered?
No, you are responsible for your own travel expenses. However, if you need a hotel room, contact us as we may still have codes for preferred rates. Regardless, everyone will be able to stay overnight at City Hall.
How can my friends/colleagues/teammates join?
They should apply here for an invitation to participate. We have plenty of space and food, so the more the merrier!
Partners / Sponsors